BOOMERBUSTER

BOOMERBUSTER
OLD CELLO

Friday, August 19, 2016

THE MENU HERE'S A GUY WHO FOLLOWS MY STYLE FRIED RABBIT OR SQUIRREL

Here's a recipe somewhat like mine. He too covers fried rabbit or squirrel. I wouldn't use cayenne pepper, or the plastic bag, but otherwise, not a bad recipe. I don't know what brown bouquet sauce is. I would skip that. 

You will notice that he doesn't think of diced onion......He has his cooking times backward.


He has nothing to say about what to serve the gravy with but the fried meat....

I, personally, never heard of eating fried chicken, or any fried thing else, alone, with its gravy......

I never even heard of that, have never done it.

At the very least, you would have something like white flour, even store bought, browned, dinner rolls.

As an aside, I should note that my family never hunted wild rabbits. I don't know if they even knew how. I imagine they would have been hard to find in the first place. 

Maybe they hunted them with dogs, sniffing for them.... I don't know. They did hunt wild hogs, but I don't recall ever eating one. I did eat some wild deer; very tough. You have to know how to prepare it.

Some of the things I had in Indian restaurants in London, passed off as chicken, the joint structure reminds me of what cat or possum or squirrel, or presumably rat, was like. Squirrels and rats are, after all, rather similar in scale and anatomy.....

What my hunting family ate did not bother me much. I also could eat at the club, after all.

Also, I had been reading Tarzan books; he ate rodents, worms, grubs, beetles, and roaches..... 

My advice, if you do not come from a hunting tradition, and you are past say 18 years of age, don't try to learn, now, how to clean game, and like doing it, even if someone else killed it for you. Just my advice. Trust me.

Southern Fried Rabbit

Directions: Southern Fried Rabbit Or Squirrel With Gravy
1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 wild rabbit or 2 squirrels, cut up
vegetable oil
3 T. flour
1 1/2 c. milk or chicken broth
salt and pepper
brown bouquet sauce
In a lg. plastic food-storage bag, combine 1/3 c. flour, the salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Shake to mix. Add rabbit/squirrel pieces and shake to coat.
In a lg. skillet, heat 1/4" of oil for rabbit, or 1/8" of oil for squirrel, over med-high heat until hot. Add coated meat. Brown on all sides. Reduce heat and cover tightly. Cook over very low heat until tender, 20-25 mins. for rabbit, 35-45 mins. for squirrel, turning pieces once. Remove cover, and cook 5 mins. longer to crisp.
Transfer meat to plate lined with paper towels. Set aside to keep warm.
Discard all but 3 T. oil. Over med. heat, stir flour into reserved oil. Blend in milk. Cook over med. heat, stirring constantly, until
thicken and bubbly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add bouquet sauce if darker color is desired. Serve gravy with meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment