BOOMERBUSTER

BOOMERBUSTER
OLD CELLO

Friday, November 17, 2017

RE CAST IRON SKILLET CARE REBEL MANIFESTO

This is so important an issue, and the very widely received wisdom on it is so archaic and misguided, that I thought I would reiterate yet again what I have already noted in the past.
 
Most all experts are advocates for what is called seasoning cast iron cookware.
 
They are proud of the fact that it creates a polymerized plastic surface that does not rust.
 
This is not my view of a good approach to cast iron cooking.
 
If you want to eat food broiled or hard fried on plastic, then you are free to do that.
 
I choose not to do so. I like cast iron.
 
It is perhaps best as a roasting pan, because of its more uneven heating qualities under direct heat, but its great heat radiating qualities, under indirect heat.
 
I scour my pans after each use, to the point that they might start to develop a little rust between uses.
 
I view the development of a little rust as a sort of badge of honor!
 
Terms search: cast iron

No comments:

Post a Comment