BOOMERBUSTER

BOOMERBUSTER
OLD CELLO

Friday, December 23, 2016

THE MENU SOMETHING MORE MY THING WESTERN CIV IMPROV

My grandmother used to make greens a certain way, and then doctor them a certain way as well. Why not describe it.
 
The best, at that time, were turnip greens. You cooked them with a two or three inch cube of fat back. For a long time. I personally, now, would use bacon fat. Eat the bacon separately.
 
She ate them with diced raw sweet onion, and a kind of pickle relish which as I recall they made there at home, and a piece of corn bread as a pusher.
 
I have now found that what are called sweet cherry peppers approximate to the pickle relish she used. Of course it is not technically sweet, but not hot. It is mild and pickled. That is what sweet means there.

I would sprinkle Italian pecorino romano over this, but hey.

Maybe this is considered soul food, too. I don't know.

You could leave out the pork, substitute chicken slop, and call it Kosher Soul Food.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment